Friday, February 17, 2012

Organizing Challenge - Update #2



It's time to check in on my progress. My goal to spend at least 30 minutes a day was just not realistic. Didn't happen. But, today, Esther and I spent the bulk of our afternoon/evening on emptying out more of the cabinets and drawers, sorting and purging as we went. We made it through about 3/4 of them.

last weekend-counter clear, cabinets full
tonight-cabinets empty, sorting is happening


Honestly, this is really not easy for me. I worked hard at quickly emptying cupboard or drawer, tossing what needed to be tossed, putting like items with like items. We now have categorized piles in the middle of the floor, and a large part of my fabric stash arranged on a table. I still have my crafting/scrapbooking cabinets to got through, but we should be able to finish those easily tomorrow morning.


fabric stash in foreground, toys sorted in background

I am panicking a bit, as I mull over how/if it will all go back. I still don't see how to best utilize all the space. Looking at the big picture is just too much. One area at a time. Focus on task at hand before moving on to the next.

For my fabric storage - Luke helped me move the game/toy cabinet upstairs (it'll now house the bins of hats/gloves/scarves near the garage door) and we'll move a spare dresser into its place. What does not fit into those drawers, will not remain part of my stash. Away the overflow will go! I mean, let's get real. How much can one gal produce at her sewing machine who really does not have all that much extra time?

The larger piles of toys (cars and carmats, train set, Little People, etc.) will be stored in plastic bins WITH lids in the back room. I need to implement the toy rotation system again. Wagon full of baby toys will be sent back to their place in the back room as well. The not-so-little arsenal for the pint-sized members of our household will be housed in a tall kitchen trash bin. the rest? We'll have to wait and see. The only thing I know for sure is whatever doesn't fit easily and cannot be contained will have to go. Period.

So, how is the whole P.R.O.C.E.S.S. coming along? Let's take a look:

Sorting 'like-with-like'
P lan your project - in general, I knew how the space was going to be used. The specifics? those are being worked out and becoming clearer as I SEE what came out and what might go back in and how much space there actually is available.

Remove (then sort and purge) -  I am finding it helpful to sort and purge as I remove. I am notorious for pulling things out of the space I want/need to de-clutter/clean and then living with the big pile of mess and never getting them to where they belong. This time I'm taking care of that step now, as much as I can. It was nice to sit down at the end of the day and not have a huge pile of stuff to sift through and find homes for before I could relax. I expect to do more sorting and purging once I know how things will be put back into their new and proper places.

Organize into piles - combined with the step above

Containerize - looking forward to this step! I have already begun finding creative and practical solutions for some things. I want this whole re-organizing project to be far-reaching and long-lasting, so I want to make good choices. I know already that square/rectangular containers are most efficient. And I'd like to add extra shelving space, possibly with the inexpensive coated wire racks available at the discount store. I'm expecting to be taking a long hard look at how to best utilize the spaces I have available and how it will function best.

Solved, Simplified and Smiling (yes, I know that is 3 S's) is hopefully how you will see me come the end of the month.





I'm linking this post up with OrgJunkie's 29 Day Organization Challenge. Hope on over for more inspiring ideas.

If you'd like to look back on the beginning of this process check here and here. And then come on back next Friday to see what we've accomplished in the coming week.

2 comments:

  1. You go, Mom :-) That's a big job and keeping it up is even bigger. Your hard work and determination is motivating me to do more here. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for cheering me on, dear. You know me well, I need all the motivation I can get. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts