Saturday, January 16, 2010

Laundry Detergent

This morning, Bekah and I made up a new batch of laundry detergent. Thought I'd share my recipe with you. There are several homemade versions floating around out there. I've tried a few, mainly the liquid/gel type. A friend from MOMYS shared this one with me and I really like it. It only takes a few minutes to prepare, and the total cost is about $2. I double the ingredients for a month's worth (that would be about 30 loads).

1 bar of fels naptha soap, finely ground (in food processor)
1 cup borax
1 cup super washing soda
1/8 - 1/4 cup oxyclean (optional)

Mix and use. 1-2 tbs. per load. Works best if you let the powder dissolve before adding clothing (I let tub fill at least halfway first)

- because I don't have a food processor, I grate the soap with an old cheese grater, then give it all a few zaps in my blender on the 'pulse' mode.
- I think any bar soap would do. Experiment with your favorite brands!


Here you see my personal assistant grating the soap:




And then we add the other ingredients:



And voila! There you have it! Ready to tackle the mountain rising in the laundry room!


4 comments:

  1. Hey, that's the same recipe I use! :D I do have a food processor though, so I do it the lazy way. Hope you stay safe using that knuckle grinder!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this recipe, my MOMYS friend ;-) even if I do have to do the grating by hand - knckles still intact, btw!
    I think I may have don the math wrong -- how many loads and how many $$ do you get out of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mrs. Sears,
    I have used this recipe with some people I worked for before. You can add natural scented oils to it also and the clothes smell even better. About 15 drops for the whole batch would do it. Lol. Lavender is my favorite, but I can't see Luke walking around smelling like Lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Evelyn! I have added lavendar oil to the mixture when I made it into a liquid/gel solution. And believe me - a little lavendar scent on my big boy is much better than the scent that lingers after he's been working hogs - phewww!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts