Sunday, March 17, 2013

Slow But Sure - Organization Update

I told you recently I was taking the 31 Day Organizational Challenge over at OrgJunkie.com.

31-Day-340px-Border

Now is the time for me to report on my progress. S - L - O - W. That's how it's going. I took on a big huge humongous project, amidst other on-going projects. Maybe I'm crazy, but in the long run, all the chaos will be worth it. I'm bound and determined to get the storage room cleaned out, straightened up, and used to store only what it should be storing.
 At the beginning of the month I printed out Laura's Organizing PROCESS and jotted down a few notes and goals.  How does this space need to be used? What do I really want to keep and what can I let go? Setting categories of items needing to be stored will help me in the organizing step later. 

 OK! Are you ready? Do you have the courage? Sure you can handle this? I'm going to let you see behind that closed door!


 Once you've cleared the cobwebs away, venture forth! But remember:


 Past the furnace, down the long dark aisle, you'll find a treasure trove of stuff, collections, memories. . . and. . . plenty of junk.

view from the opposite end of that aisle, looking back at the door we just walked through
 Now, after you've recovered from the shock of the nightmare-behind-the-door, I'll give you the update on my planning and progress.

 
Here is the 'BEFORE' look at the first section of shelving you see when you walk in. It holds our collection of jigsaw puzzles and not-so-popular games, extra book storage (including a few of hubby's college/engineering/reference books) as well as past homeschool records/papers.

The kids helped me clear it ALL out - and now look at them!

 
Beautiful, Glorious Space!!!

Where did everything go? We hauled it all out to the floor in the middle of the  TV room and sorted through it. I was on a mission and so did not get photos of every pile and every item, but if it was broken or missing parts, out it went. If no one uses it, to the donate piles it went.


  
You can see in the pic above some of what is leaving this house --  (1) Passing on jigsaw puzzles to other family members to enjoy. (2) Trash! 2 large bags full and a box-turned-racecar filled. WootWoot! (3) games puzzles and dress up items heading to the thrift store.

This is just the beginning folks! We are continuing the Remove and Purge phase of this big project. We've been filling this space for a dozen years now. That adds up to a lot of stuff. And when you haven't taken time to maintain and set to order what you've been collecting and storing, well, it is important to take time and do the job right. I'll be posting at the end of the week with another update, sharing more about the hows and whats and whys of it all.

In the meantime, you can see how others are doing with this 31 Day Challenge at the 2nd Progress Link Up.


7 comments:

  1. Great work. I'm impressed! Keep it up. It will be so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Beth. I'm at the point of wondering what I got myself into, but it's too late to turn back now!

      Delete
  2. PS I love seeing space. It's so liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are making great progress! Just look at those empty shelves!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the empty shelves are nice! We still have much work ahead of us, though. The goal is to get to the finish line with empty spaces still available!

      Delete
  4. Hey Linda,
    Missed you on the last few Challenge link ups. I hope you're still going strong and haven't had the time to post about it. I would love to see your progress even if it's not complete!
    You've been such a fabulous cheerleader for me along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! You are a doll, to be checking in on me this way. With nice weather arriving, I so wish I had finished last month, but I'm not giving up. I'll be sure to give you a heads up when I post about my progress and a final Big Reveal. I'll be watching for the final results in the challenge!

      Delete

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts