Monday, April 22, 2013

Weekly Menu - 4/22 to 4/28

Can you hear it? All that noise? No? 
Ok. Never mind. It's just all those crazy ideas and things to do and appointments to keep that are clunking around in my head. 
Thanks to my menu planning last week things went much more smoothly, all because I took the time to make a plan, jot it down and post it in a handy place. 
The family was happier, too. They had half-way healthy and filling meals to enjoy!

The high light meal last week was not one of my home-cooked meals, though. It had to be Dad's birthday dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.

A real treat because:
  1. It was Dad's birthday
  2. We rarely eat out, especially at a nice wait-to-be-seated-let-me-take-your-order kind of restaurant
  3. All our (nearby) children were able to join us (though we missed our not nearby children!)
We followed up dinner with birthday cake and ice cream - of course.
I whipped up this 
Devil's Food Layer Cake w/ 7minute Frosting 
 for my Sweetie's Birthday

As for this week's menu, after taking inventory of what's available in the pantry and freezer, I see we still have sufficient resources to put together meals for the 8 of us. Yay! 

Monday --  Enchiladas
Tuesday -- Scalloped Potatoes w/ Ham
Wednesday -- Venison Stew
Thursday --  KOTO (Kids On Their Own, Date Night!)
Friday -- Chicken Sandwiches (Mom is shopping all day, not going to be up to making big pizzas for everyone)
Saturday --  Black Beans w/ Tortilla Chips and Fixin's (Mom will be cooking all day, not going to be up to making a big meal for everyone)
Sunday -- Potato/Sausage Bake (in CrockPot)


And before I sign off, I'll share a couple of snapshots from our big birthday dinner.


me and the birthday boy
our little 'party' took up nearly half the dining room!

Now I'm off to jot down a few those items clanking around in my head. Much better to see them on my To-Do list than to have them cluttering up my thoughts.

What's on your to-do list this week? What will you be serving your family? I'd love to hear! 

8 comments:

  1. Oooo! Sounds like you have a yummy week planned! I'd love the recipes for your potato and sausage bake!
    Love reading your posts! :)

    Happy birthday to Uncle Mike!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenyne - and Happy birthday to you!
      Maybe I'll use that sausage/potato recipe to begin next week's menu post. If not, I'll message you.
      Love you - kiss those babies for me!

      Delete
  2. Oooo! Sounds like you have a yummy week planned! I'd love the recipes for your potato and sausage bake!
    Love reading your posts! :)

    Happy birthday to Uncle Mike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family! I definitely have a million thoughts clanking around in my head on a regular basis so I understand the noise. My to-do list includes trying to make a few meals (we eat out waaaay too often) at home and getting the bathroom organized. I would love to hear some of your favorite tips and tricks for menu planning when you get a chance. I see the benefits but haven't been able to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Beth. Yes, it does get noisy in this old head of mine.
      I began menu planning way back when my oldest 2 were babies. Making up a master list of meals I knew how to cook and meals that hubby enjoyed. Then it was easy to make up a shopping list for the week (or two, or the month). Then I knew I had supplies on hand for a week's worth of meals, and I crossed off each meal as I fixed it. It seemed like work at first, now it's second nature and so much more work when I don't.
      I'm working up a series of how I do my planning and shopping and cooking for my new site. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful cake! It looks tasty. And I love KOTO. Great name for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I make to do lists for the very same reason: to get those ideas swimming around in my brain down on paper...because the swimming around part gets exhausting otherwise! I have family coming in town later this week, so I have meal preparations and house cleaning on my to do list, which wouldn't necessarily be fun except for the fact that it's in anticipation of some fantastic visitors. Hope your week is off to a great start! With a fresh new to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your upbeat comments, Lauren!
    You are right - having family coming to visit does make it more fun to tackle that to-do list. What a great reward after all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts