Sunday, March 11, 2012

Menu for 3/12-3/18

 
Before I share my list of meals for the upcoming week, I'll share a little success story with you from last week. I did a stupid brave thing and cooked up a new recipe for our Sunday Basket Dinner, without trying it at home first. I don't always have good luck that way, but this time I had good results. Oven Baked Lentils&Rice. This recipe is a keeper. I had positive feedback from friends at church as well as family members. Yay!

This recipe came from a cooking show on our PBS station, I altered it only a bit to fit my family's taste (you can view the original recipe here). This dish is quick and easy to assemble, costs only pennies per serving, and is packed with lots of goodness and nutrition. Here's my version:

Oven Baked Lentils&Rice

1 1/2 cup lentils
1 cup brown rice
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 3/4 cup water
2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients in a lightly greased casserole (or 9x13) dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 75 minutes.
Cover with 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella (I actually used a combination of mozzarella and monterey/jack) cheese and bake another 15 minutes.


Our week coming up promises to be a hectic one. We have a couple of different doctor appointments, a birthday, a birthday party and sleep-over, Brent coming in on the train for a weekend visit, 15 or 20 extra young people for a big paint-ball event on Saturday. Having my menu planned out for the week will be a huge help. (I'll be linking this post up to Menu Plan Monday over at OrgJunkie.com)

Monday-
breakfast-burritos
lunch-tuna sandwiches
supper-chicken chimichangas

Tuesday-
breakfast-ww toast
lunch-hot dogs
supper-venison stew

Wednesday-
breakfast-oatmeal
lunch-tortilla roll-ups
supper-pasta bake

Thursday-
breakfast-Mama's ww cinnamon rolls (birthday girl's request)
lunch-chicken nuggets
supper-BLT's (birthday girl's request)

Friday-
breakfast-eggs and muffins
lunch-homemade chicken soup, bread
supper-pizza

Saturday-
breakfast-waffles
lunch-chili, cornbread
supper-"mus-go's"

Sunday-
breakfast-bagels
dinner-CrockPot chicken


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts