Monday, April 2, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - 4/2 to 4/8

 
Last week, I told you about how I fill the crockpot with black beans first thing on my Big Cooking Day. The second thing I do is start a whole chicken to boil in my stock pot. I let it simmer all morning. I then have delicious chicken stock to use while making rice or white sauce or other dishes. At the end of the day I package up pints for the freezer and use what's left to make soup. The meat falls right off the bone, so it's easy to have cooked chicken at-the-ready for meals I'm preparing that day as well as for impromptu, spontaneous meals needed throughout the month.

I have a simple and absolutely delicious recipe for my chicken stock. It is from one of my favorite cookbooks, (it really is more than a cookbook, I highly recommend it!) written by a fellow homeschool mom I knew when living in Colorado.

Chicken Stock
(based on a recipe from Hearth and Home by Karey Swan)

1 whole chicken
3 stalks of celery w/ leaves
2 carrots
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
6 cups water (or enough to cover chicken)
1 large onion, cut into thirds
3 or 4 whole cloves

Stud the onion with the cloves, put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer at least an hour, til meat falls off bone. Lift out chicken. Strain stock and discard vegetables.



Monday - B-breakfast burritos
                 L-tuna salad sandwiches
                 Sn-gorp
                 Su-Mexican Beans &  Rice

Tuesday - B-Toast & fruit
                 L-hot dogs, mac&cheese
                 Sn-veggie sticks & dip
                 Su-Chicken Parmesian

Wednesday - B-Oatmeal
                      L-gr. chs. sandwiches & tomato soup
                      Sn-cookies
                      Su-Venison Tenderloin

Thursday - B-muffins
                   L-chicken nuggets
                   Sn-gr crkrs & pnt btr
                   Su-Lasagne

Friday - B-cereal
              L-sandwiches
              Sn-?
              Su-pizza

Saturday - B-muffins, cereal
                 L-leftover pizza
                 Sn-?
                 Su-Hamburgers

Sunday - B-bagels
               Dinner-CrockPot chicken


linking up over at OrgJunkie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts